Our mission is to love, learn and live by Christ’s teachings. As we do this, we hope to create the inclusive, loving, and justice-seeking community that Jesus did.
Our church meets weekly for worship on Sunday mornings. Most Sundays, we have 2 worship times, at 9:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Sometimes we just have one service at 10 a.m. such as for our annual meeting, Easter or other special Sundays, or summer worship. Children’s programming is offered at the early service. Attendance is around 80 for the two services. There is a variety of music, including instrumentalists at 9:30 and choir at 11. Most folks dress informally. We enjoy coffee and tea and conversation in between the two services.
Elmira is a friendly and growing community of about 9,000 people. We are in The Region of Waterloo, north of St. Jacobs. Close by are the cities of Kitchener, Waterloo and Guelph. The area is also surrounded by excellent farmland with a wide variety of agricultural resources. Elmira is famous for hosting the “Elmira Maple Syrup Festival” in the spring. This event is a great example of community volunteers working together to raise money for local charities.
We are blessed with a dedicated staff.
Rev. Sue Campbell has been our minister since 2017. With 20 years of experience in both rural and urban churches, a love of worship and music, and a committment to nurturing spiritual growth, we appreciate her leadership.
Susan Beinarovics is our church administrator and has been with us since 2010. She is vital as the center of our communications hub and a lot of behind the scenes work. You will experience a warm welcome each weekday morning from 9 – noon when you drop in.
Brad Roth is our dedicated custodian and has been with us since 2014. We are grateful that he keeps our old building clean and running as efficiently as possible.
Tony Domzella is our music director and has been with us since September 2018. Tony is a talented musician (on multiple instruments) and we are excited by the new possibilities he brings working with our choir, band and the entire congregation.
Katie Hackert is our treasurer who ensures bills and staff are paid on time. We value her expertise with book-keeping.
Our Leadership Team
We are blessed with an awesome group of leaders who meet monthly to pray and discern the direction of our congregation. Taking care of business is fun when shared in a group who commits to praying together and to participating in an engaging bible study at every meeting.
Our current team consists of:
Mary Feldskov – chair
Karen Ross – secretary & our Western Ontario Waterways representative
Rev. Sue Campbell – our minister
Trinity United Church was formed in 1971 when Wesley United and Zion United merged into one congregation.
The origins of the former Wesley Church go back to 1836 when Samuel Fear rode through the bush from Guelph to conduct services. Until 1848 services were held in log homes. That year, the first school was built, also of logs, at about the corner of present-day King and Church Streets. Services were held in this building until 1854, when a red brick church was built near the school. The location of this building resulted in the street being called Church Street. In 1851, Elmira became part of the Elora Circuit, which was composed of Elora, Fergus, Bethany, Mount Pleasant, Robinsons, Alma, Salem, Elmira, Zion, and Tabor.
In 1873, work started on a new church on Arthur Street which was dedicated on January 1, 1874. When this church opened, it had coal-oil lamps and a box stove capable of burning 4-ft logs. In 1925, this congregation became part of The United Church of Canada.
Zion Church had its origin in the decision of the Methodist Church in Pennsylvania in 1804 to send missionaries into the German-speaking communities. Thus, a new denomination, the Evangelical Church, came into being. This denomination spread into Canada when, in 1838, the first missionaries came among the German settlers in Waterloo County. In 1864 the Canadian Conference of the Evangelical Church was organized and the Elmira congregation was formed. It’s building on present-day site of Trinity United Church, was erected in 1870. At that time, the services and church records were all in German. Only after the outbreak of WWI did English come into use.
In 1946 the Evangelical and United Brethren Churches united and Zion became a member of the new E.U.B. (Evangelical United Brethren) Church. In 1963 the last services were held in the old building and a new church was built on the same site. In 1968 the EUB Churches joined The United Church of Canada. In 1971, Zion amalgamated with Wesley and the new Trinity United Church came into being.
Our Acknowledgement of the Land
For thousands of years First Nations people have lived on this land. The land on which we gather is the traditional territory of the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois), Ojibway, Chippewa, and Anishinabek peoples.
We acknowledge with respect the spirituality, history and culture of the peoples with whom Treaty 29 was signed in 1827.
Acknowledging the territory and the people who have traditionally called it home supports our call to live out the United Church’s apology to indigenous peoples and to live out our call to right relations.
Please join us for our Contemporary Worship starting at 9:30 AM Sunday mornings.
Our Traditional Worship follows the Contemporary Worship starting at 11:00 AM.
*We occasionally meet at 11 a.m. for joint services. Please check the home page of this site or our Facebook site .